April 26, 2020
Dear Supporters, Guests, Volunteers, Employees & Family,
At Los Angeles Maritime Institute (LAMI) safety is our number one priority and permeates everything we do. During the current challenges with Covid-19, we are carefully tracking and implementing the guidelines that the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), California Department of Public Health (CDPH), and the White House. We are also following both the City of Long Beach, City of LA, Port of LA and LA County to make sure we are aligned with their policies. We are building collaborations with the American Camp Association, and the Boy Scouts of America and their various camps, including those on Catalina Island.
We are posting guidelines and practicing social & physical distancing, as this is proving to be the best means to control the spread of the virus. We are also complying with the local requirement that all visitors, volunteers, suppliers, employees, and crew wear protective face coverings while working, visiting our ships, or in our facilities. You may be asked to sign our policy documents acknowledging that you understand and will follow our procedures designed to insure maximum safety for all participants.
We are making plans to reopen and anticipate hosting students for voyages this summer once our local community has transitioned to Phase Two of the National Guidelines for Opening Up America. We are anticipating a phased approach to our opening and hence our policies and procedures will evolve to ensure the safety of our crew and all participants that come aboard our vessels or visit our facilities. Policies and practices for our office, Building G and on Swift of Ipswich will be slightly different from those implemented on the operational vessels. They are customized in a way that ensures the best practices in those locations. There may also be different policies and procedures for those that live on the vessels and those who commute.
As general practices please:
- Do not leave the safety of your home if you are experiencing any of the symptoms associated with the virus. Please seek appropriate medical care.
- Please wash or sanitize your hands before joining us and frequently while with us. All of our locations have the necessary facilities to do so.
- Wear mouth and nose or face coverings,
- We may take your temperature when you arrive and during your visit,
- You may be asked to assist with additional cleaning, deep cleaning and disinfection.
- Practice physical distancing (please stay a fathom apart) whenever possible,
- When not possible to stay a fathom apart please minimize the duration
- Floors and decks may be marked for guidance where needed.
Thank you for your continued support and your focus on prioritizing the health and wellbeing of all LAMI’inites.
Stay Safe & Fair Winds!